Comic book collections have become increasingly popular in recent years, and this can be reflected in the value of some pieces. Some people build a comic book collection because they love certain characters, artists, or time periods. For others, comic book collections are primarily a form of financial investment.
Regardless of the motive behind the collection or the value of the items, there are some simple steps that you can take to help protect your comic book collection.
- Use care when handling items and keep food and drink away from the area where comic books are being displayed or stored. Be sure your hands are clean as well as the area. Never open a comic book more than 180 degrees or fold the book back on itself.
- Do not use paper clips, rubber bands, self-adhesive tape, or glue on comic books. Don’t fold the corners of the pages or use acidic items as bookmarks.
- Store your comic book collection in a cool, dry environment no warmer than 75 degrees Fahrenheit with relative humidity no higher than 35 percent. Avoid exposure to light and heat such as radiators and heating vents.
- Protect your comic book collection by using acid- and lignin-free folders, envelopes and document boxes with all available alkaline buffered or neutral pH. Select polyester film sleeves that are sturdy enough to support the weight of the comic book. Be aware that polyester film sleeves may create a static charge that could damage comic books with brittle pages.
- Have your comic book collection re-appraised on a regular basis to establish replacement values and update your insurance policy as needed.
- Maintain thorough documentation of your comic book collection including purchase receipts, photographs and full descriptions of each item. For high-value items, you may have auction and/or provenance documentation. All collection documentation should be kept in a safe location.
One of the most important steps you can take to protect your comic book collection is to purchase insurance designed specifically to protect the full collectible value of your items.